Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Movies


If you were tuned into the ABC Family Channel this afternoon, you probably noticed they had on the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie, and directly following was the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie that we will watch in a few weeks. Do you think the TV station knows we are studying this book right now? I think they may be spying on us!

I have never really cared much for the new movie, probably because I am old school and love the one I grew up watching, but I sat down and actually gave the Johnny Depp version another chance (it's still not my favorite.) It is really funny to me how different the new movie is from the original movie, but the reality is, it follows the book a lot more than the old movie. Even the songs the Oompa Loompas sing in the new movie are the actual lyrics Roald Dahl wrote in the book! I recognized the "Augustus Gloop" song right away since we just finished that chapter a few days ago!

Another movie based off of a Roald Dahl book will be on at 8:00 tonight on the same channel: Matilda! We read this at the beginning of the year. If you get a chance, tune in and see if you can find some similarities and differences to the book version.